Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Goats Are Funny and Other Tales from the Bush

Today started out on an interesting note. Since one of the goat herders is gone right now, I got to help feed the Anatolian shepherds! (aka the dogs that watch and guard the herd of goats here at the CCF farm. I met Joeh (one of the guys that works with the goats) at the big, quite industrial, barn. There he introduced me to… someone. I couldn’t really pronounce his name and now I can’t remember it. Anyways, after he mixed up the food (dog food, cooked donkey meat, and water… interestingly enough, the dog food was made out of rice and ostrich…); we went over to the goat pens to feed the dogs. They were VERY happy to see us, and they were adorable. On a side note for Liz, one of the dogs was named Leah. :D

Besides the dogs, the goats were VERY funny. On the second trip feeding the dogs (once at 8am, once at 3pm), there was this goat that REALLY wanted to eat the dog food. Like REALLY/ He would jump up like one of the dogs and try to steal some from the bowl in my hand. And when I wouldn’t give it to him, he tried to eat my pants instead! Lol! Also, once Shadow was done eating her food, she walked away from it and at least 15 goats went over to start eating the leftovers! I had to shoo them away just to grab the bowl! (On that note, shooing goats isn’t hard. You just kind walk through them and they get out of the way. It was REALLY amusing walking through a virtual SEA of goats, all of them bleating at you noisily).

Besides that, I was mostly in Laurie’s office for most of the day ORGANIZING IT. And let me tell you, it REALLY could use it. The papers are covered in dust and cobwebs and dead moths and spiders and a lot of the stuff has been chewed up by a mouse. In fact; when I started on Laurie’s office with Santa yesterday, we found the mouse IN IT’S NEST in one of the boxes! I almost grabbed it without knowing! But it jumped out and ran off, which wasn’t a huge deal but it did startle Santa and I a lot! Basically, I actually enjoyed organizing Laurie’s office in the same way I enjoyed the living room in my suite after I finish cleaning it. It just makes me feel better about life. However, there is A LOT of stuff and Laurie’s not here so I can’t ask her if we can throw anything away. Instead, I’m just organizing and labeling EVERYTHING.

I also went on a Circuit Count this evening, which is a lot like a game count but longer and through thicker bush. We actually have to keep our windows rolled up and the side-view mirrors turned in so that the thorns and branches that are creeping in don’t SMACK us! There’s this great nails-on-chalkboard sound almost THE WHOLE TIME. I went on one yesterday as well (in which we got stuck in an aardvark hole momentarily and had to push the truck out of it) and we barely saw any animals. This time, we were scrabbling for extra paper to record them because this route took us through the main field! I even saw eland for the first time. (Though from a far distance because they are car-shy and run away from EVERYTHING!!!!)

One last thing. Yesterday, I was weeding the OK cubs’ pen with Casey and we took a five minute break at one point… and she finally introduced me to the cubs! I mean, in their pen, petting them, talking to them, the works! It was midday and so they were really lazy and sleepy so they just came over to be petted and licked my hand a lot :D :D :D They were ADORABLE! Their names are Peter, Tigerlilly, Sene, and Kaije. Peter’s face is SO FLUFFY! XD Best five minute break EVER!!!!

Anyways, I love you all! Look forward to my next exciting adventure!!!

6 comments:

  1. Apparently I'm now following you under my Google and Yahoo accounts because I've signed into both. Haha. That's why my name disappeared before. Go self...

    Anyway, your adventures continue to make me jealous, as the only things close to adventures I've done is look at the OUTSIDES of houses with my parents. Didn't even get to go in. Or leave the car for that matter. Sigh...

    Ostrich and rice food is intriguing. My dogs' food is made of rabbit and potato because they have allergies. It's not too far out there. lol

    Your organizing skills are superb and I'm sure you did wonders with Laurie's office even though you couldn't throw anything away. Your story kind of reminded me of when I organized the sewing machine box. Everything was everywhere. I put it all in neat places and labeled everything. Haha. So next time it is used, everything will be nice and neat, and possibly, perhaps, probably not, stay that way.

    Sorry for all the ranting. I love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finally got it to fix my name. Idk why that was so complicated... Haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Petting young cheetahs sounds like the best thing in the world :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. awwwwwwwwwwwww, mini!cheetahs! and i agree, goats are hilarious XD. also...leah? is that supposed to mean something? D: liz is confused... but anyway! organization! im also sure you did an awesome job. and lol, mice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...I don't like goats, not at all >:( When I was 7 I was swarmed by them at a petting zoo and they tired to eat my dress! NOT COOL! Btw, I MISS YOU!!! *glomps computer screen*

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL! One of the goats did try to eat me, but he was okay in the end.. And Liz, i'm just keeping with the tradition of mentioning anything star wars to you. (perhaps I spelled it wrong??) and good job with the sewing machine box, sam! Hopefully you'll have adventures soon!

    ReplyDelete