Tuesday, May 17, 2011

First Days Are Endlessly Amusing

Yesterday was a beautiful day.

Seriously. Sunny, warm but not beastly hot, green (seriously, the rainy season does wonders), and pretty much amazing. We started out with breakfast at the Hot Spot (the communal eating area) and then went on a tour of the facility. Very informative, I suppose. But the highlight came when we got in our very LEGIT safari truck and went on a drive to see 7 of the cheetahs 

We saw SEVEN cheetahs. Count ‘em SEVEN! There was Bella, Padme, Samantha, Blondie, Dusty, Sandy, and Amani. Our tour guide, Charles, tried to teach us how to differentiate between the different girls. Bella has a “teddy bear face”, Padme “looks angry”, Samantha has white in her eyes, Blondie “looks like a lioness”, Dusty looks like Samantha but without the white and likes to come close to the car, Sandy has a very small head and “looks sleepy”, and Amani has a very large head… yeah, I still can’t really tell them apart unless they’re looking directly at me.



The second half of my day was… not as interesting. I did get to see them feed some of the ambassador cheetahs in a pen, though, which was interesting. They pretty much just CHARGE at the meat in the bowls, grab them and try to run; but seeing no exit, they run back to the bowls to keep it clean while they eat. Cheetahs are very picky. Besides that, I was doing… data entry! YAY! DDD: I was entering really frustrating survey data, too. Frustrating as in a lot of the answers weren’t complete and the survey kept changing slightly. MY RESEARCH METHODS PROF WOULD BE ASHAMED! Ah, well :/

On another note: everyone here speaks Afrikaans except for us interns. Thus, Britanny and Margaret are obsessed with learning it. They are video-taping our former tour guide Charles saying small phrases. They are also practicing the clicks from Charles’ native language so that they can say his real name. (His real name kinda sounds like Da!nome!nome!om!om… with clicks where the ! are) Here are a few of the words we’ve learned transcribed as best I can.

May nahm es- my name is
Ek es van- I am from
Oo handet?- how are you?
Hud- good
En medeo? – and you?

Ien- one
Deviet (very French)- two
Dree- three
Fee- four
Fihve-five
Seis-six
Sieven- seven
Acht- eight
Neeren-nine
Deen- ten

Ek es dohch- I am thirsty

Ek es Blehy- I am happy


Look forward to the next phase in my adventure! (Probably next week, lols)

ps- I did data entry all day today too. I am promised a more interesting schedule tomorrow :)

5 comments:

  1. So sounds like you were right in your idea that it would be good to learn some Afrikaans! I've never seen/heard any before. Kinda looks like German, French, Spanish, and English all randomly thrown together... Where all are the interns from and what languages does Heike speak? (Volunteer coordinator.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I approve of them naming one Padme. I also approve of how Padme 'looks angry'. Also, just be glad you don't have to write huge papers on surveys and complicated graphs and turn them in and have them graded anymore. That's one good thing, right? Right? ;) Lol.

    The clicking language sounds so cool! (I'll admit I was very...myself...and tried to pronounce that dude's name, clicks and all, haha.) Afrikaans looks like someone took a bunch of Romance and Germanic languages, tossed them all together in a salad bowl, shook them around, and then misspelled them. But it should be fascinating to learn! (Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, I'm pretty sure that would be someone's first impression of English if they'd never seen it before...)

    Anyway! Post pictures! I wanna see the cheetahs! And your pretty face! With the cheetahs! Or trees or something! Cheetah trees! And I have an Epic Email of Epicness on the way. I just felt lame sending it because it's already a couple of pages and it's only been three days...and I wasn't sure if you'd have Internet by now anyway.

    <3!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love Liz's comment hahaha. I also could have written you an incredibly long email, but I will refrain until I've been missing you for at least more than a week. Haha.

    I'm so happy one of them is named Samantha! Now Padme and Samantha must remind you of Liz and me forever!!! Muahahahahahaha!

    I think it's finally setting in that I won't see you for a year! D: It's really odd... Luckily this blog thing is working out so far! :)

    Anyway, I'm glad your first day was wonderful! I hope the rest of the days are just as amazing! I also wish you luck on learning Afrikaans. Sure seems like you're picking it up quickly haha. Oh and just like Liz, I also tried to pronounce his name with all the clicks. Took me seemingly forever. They probably say it super fast, though.

    Have fun with all the data entry! Haha.

    Hugs and kisses!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LoL! I love you guys SO MUCH! will def send you pics, and Liz SEND ME THAT EMAIL! I can go online once a night, but only email/ facebook/ blog. No web surfing. :) I MISS YOU GUYS ALREADY! And yes, I also thought of you guys when i met Padme and Samantha :) LOVE YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I AM LATE TO THE PARTY. Afrikaans is almost identical to Dutch if that helps!! You can learn Dutch and speak Afrikaans :)

    ReplyDelete