Monday, November 28, 2011

Baby Time!

It is quite cool and rainy here right now. Pretty much I spent the first two days here doing tedious data entry (I am happy to do it, but would obviously rather be doing something else.) But yesterday and today have been spent bottle feeding goats and feeding 3 week old puppies! They’re SO cute. There are 14 goats, all a few months old. Paige (another volunteer) and I feed four at a time because we do not have 7 hands each! They are bad goats, though, and like to jump on us and try to eat my hair. The amount of dirt and goat slobber on my shirt is amazing. They also like to randomly jump up and hit me with their front hooves. It doesn’t really hurt, but it can knock you off balance a bit. I also learned how to properly pick up a goat yesterday as we were trying to wrangle them back into their pen.

The puppies are SO cute. We had to weigh them and clip their claws yesterday so I got to hold them A LOT. They don’t quite know how to bark yet, so they kept making this grunting and squeaking noises that were really adorable. I got to pet them a lot and then watch them stumble around in the puppy paste we give them to eat. (It’s a combo of dry puppy food, water, and goats’ milk). They are ADORABLE but their mama looks so tired. By the end of yesterday, I was covered in goat milk, dirt, puppy paste, and probably a bit of pee from sitting on the ground of the puppy pen. Ew. But it was okay; I had a lot of fun helping out around the corral. The animals seem to be warming up to me nicely! Though… that might be because I keep giving them food. Haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment