Thursday, June 16, 2011

Starry Night is Not Just a Painting

Dear World,

My life has been very boring as of late… I have been making phone calls for pretty much three work days straight… and while it is gratifying to be the one in charge of the whole silent auction shebang, I am getting a little tired of over-enunciating to people who speak English as a vague second language over a bad connection.

But I don’t want to either talk or think about the gala at the moment.

Instead, I want to talk about the night sky. This seems random, yes? Well, it REALLY isn’t.

You can see SO many stars here out in the bush. Sometimes when going back to our rooms after dinner, we all turn out our torches and just look at them. (That is of course until we realize that a leopard MAY be stalking us in the dark) The stars are GORGEOUS. And apparently we can’t even see as many as we would in summer. Apparently you can see the ENTIRE Milky Way in stunning, starry detail then. Some interesting things: Orion’s Belt is in an interesting place and the big dipper is upside-down. It’s interesting. Our Australian friend (who is no longer at CCF) called it the Frying Pan.

But the really exciting thing lately has been the moon. It is LOVELY to watch the moon rise from the top of the water tower. It rises before the sky is dark, so at first you see the moon against every color of the light spectrum. African sunsets are AMAZING. However, in recent days there has been a full moon. Now, I know that people often claim that they can kinda sorta see by moonlight at night, but here you REALLY can. It’s like, never really dark here when the moon is up. I haven’t even been using my torch when walking to Lightfoot for a bonfire or home from dinner at night. It’s amazing how bright it is. It’s like, reverse light pollution or something. Also, there was a lunar eclipse last night! RANDOMLY! I mean, we were sitting inside, minding our own business, and Brittany comes in hollering about an eclipse! I have seen one before (I think… or was it solar???) but never randomly. Usually mom lets me know DAYS in advance about anything interesting in the sky, so this was just weird!

Anyways, stargazing is AMAZING here and I can’t wait to see them in the summer. (In Botswana)

Tschuss!

2 comments:

  1. LOL!!!!!! Ok, I knew there was an eclipse, but not visible in the US. So it didn't occur to me to mention it, as it was only visible in, like, AFRICA!!! *forehead smack* Glad you got to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ^^Best.comment.ever^^ Lol, Joanna.

    ReplyDelete